13 November 2014

Loosing My Mojo

Yesterday I was sewing away and felt completely uninspired and my fingers felt like sausages.  Most of this could have been because I am getting over a cold, but it could also be I have been doing too much.
Even so, I have been beating myself up for it.  I've been making myself feel bad.  So this morning I thought it is time for reflection.
Something useful I learnt on teacher training, was the art of reflection.  We very rarely stop to think where we are in life, or how far we have come.  Life is a journey after all, but unlike a journey we have no map, we rarely stop at a roadside cafe and get the map out, see where we have been, calculate how far we need to go and what our are aims should be.
To start reflecting we need a starting point.  I mainly have three things, when it comes to my sewing, to help me do this.  I have three books, one for "Things to Do", one for "Development" of designs/kits, and a third that is a "Journal".
The book of "Things to Do" comes into use now and again, I am after all a Pisces and hate being tied down to demands!  At the moment though it is in vogue with me and I am sticking to it.  I started it again when I felt my Mojo was waning and also because my stash was getting out of hand (again).  Yesterday, when I didn't feel like sewing, I opened my "Things to Do" book and completed 3 items from the list.  So on reflection, yesterday was very productive.
My "Development" book, is one that I am very proud of.  This came about when I started teaching at Oh Sew Sweet Shop.  My lessons, kits and ideas to develop go in there.  
The journal has now been running for over 3 years and everything I sew goes in there.  (I knit and make lace as well, but they don't go in.)  This was started because I work shifts and was thinking that I didn't sew much, so, everyday that I sew I make an entry, sometimes only one or two lines, but mainly a page.  I then bought a POGO printer (these are great, a Polaroid(R) printer producing business card sized pictures that are self adhesive) and take pictures to put in my journal.
Along with quilts, craft items and gifts, I have also been adding to my wardrobe.
These are my wardrobe items so far:
A-line skirt developed for sewing lesson

Linen Dress for a Wedding

A-line skirt variation 

Pillowcase dress variation

Kimono style dressing gown

Dress Upcycled to skirt

Skirt upcycled to a top

Silk Maxi dress

Librarian Blouse in Liberty Cotton

A pair of jeans and a dress upcycled to a skirt

Shift dress in John Kaldor polyester

Mock wrap dress in John Kaldor jersey

Blouse made from left over silk

Pencil skirt made from stash
These are items I have made for my wardrobe, as well as these I have made 54 other items either sewn or knitted.  That is more than one item per week finished, plus working full time, plus teaching 3 hours a week.
On reflection I have made loads of things this year so far,  I should be very proud of the new items in my wardrobe, also I have a right to be tired - I've been busy.
Now where is that grey and purple tartan . . . . . 


No comments:

Post a Comment